Friday 19 April 2013

More Time Please!!

Due to some technical issues regarding internet access and our friendly telephone company I haven't been able to blog for almost three weeks!!

Well hold on, because here it comes!!

Firstly hope you all had a wonderful break doing whatever you chose to do. I spent a week with my beautiful family, including my gorgeous new nephew who I met for the first time. I forgot how good 'baby smell' was!!

As is becoming the new family rule I get to take over the kitchen whenever I visit home, my mother loves this, however she asks frequently if it's necessary for me to use every dish in her kitchen. Drama much!!

Just before I left the April issue of Better Homes and Gardens arrived and I was absolutely DYING to make the Lemon Drizzle Cake! Instead of baking it in a loaf I thought it would look cute in a fluted pan, it did and was totally gorgeous!! Needless to say this recipe is going in the family book.

  I had to take this photo while I had everyone standing 
behind me waiting for a slice!!

The aftermath - this cake only lasted one day!!

A request by everyone was that I make some bread rolls, scrolls and buns while I was home. I think the thing I love the most about making my own bread is the endless possibilities!! To keep it traditional I made one of my kids favorite of Bacon, Garlic and Two Cheese buns - they eat these straight out of the oven!

 Easy as! Bread dough with Grilled bacon, red onion,
 garlic, parmesan and cheddar cheese. Yum!


After we returned back home, in an attempt to 'de-sugar' the family, I tried a little tricky recipe called "Popcorn Cauliflower" It is a combination between this recipe http://www.food.com/recipe/popcorn-cauliflower-217432 and I added some parmesan cheese for a nice little crunch. TIP: Don't over oil or it won't crisp up!!

On a side note - after eating the WHOLE bowl the kids inform me that,
 "Well Mum, we don't really like cauliflower" Yeah right!

My final note out of the kitchen is that thanks to my lovely mother I have a new toy, a beautiful 6 Litre Pressure Cooker!!!
I have already created the BEST Ox Tail Stew and the most delicious Bolognese Sauce in next to no time!! I bought a Women's Weekly Pressure Cooker Book and with the weather cooling off I can't wait to start making some warming food for us and the neighbours!!

I haven't been in the sewing room very much lately, if you can't tell, so not much to talk about there :-(

I have however finished quilting and making the cushions to match a quilt I made for a friend and once it reaches the intended I will post some of the photos of this nice little set.

I have been inspired by Moda bake shop again to create a little pillowcase dress for Miss 4. I am going to tweak it however because I'm not keen on the way the original has no shape through the body. 
I have gone through my stash and found three fat quarters which I am going to use to create a three tiered dress (bodice, band and skirt) using the same principles as a pillowcase dress but with a gather here and there should look a little more fitted.

Last but definitely not least I received a wonderful surprise from my very beautiful group of sewing friends in Emerald! They all got together and made me this stunning bag - which when I received made me cry with the love they put in it! Each of the girls all had a hand in the creation of the bag, even down to the label which has each of their names on it! 

Needless to say this bag is going in my,
 "Keep forever and bury me with it" list!!


 Well that's it for now however I hope to have some achievements from the sewing room next time. Sending Darling Husband under the house to run me a TV cable to my sewing room this weekend, which he doesn't know yet and I believe will help the kids and I with our "getting along" while we are in there! Live in hope :-)

Right now, I have a date with some inspiration in the form of a big pile of new quilting magazines and a nice cup of Earl Grey.

May your bobbin always be full!!

Amanda 

No comments:

Post a Comment