Sunday 5 May 2013

Pinch Me Please!!

This week started as just another normal week, the weather starting to chill off in the mornings, kids off to school, regular house chores and errands to run.....oh how quickly things can change!

Some mending and alterations arrived from customers this week, which I love to do as it keeps my brain really active and brings in a little money for my sewing, but it does mean I have to stop working on my own sewing!

With the weather chilling off in the morning and evenings I pulled a ham bone out of the freezer I had saved from Christmas, putting it in the pressure cooker with some dried peas, veggie stock, onion and carrots I made the BEST Pea and Ham soup EVER!! I even rang my Nan to tell her it was closest I had ever come to making soup like her.

 With some Paprika sprinkled on top and
 fresh crusty bread it was delicious!

Master 6 had some exciting parcels arrive in the post this week, his polar fleece and pattern arrived to make his new dressing gown! It was just what he asked for and I was rewarded with a big cuddle and "I love you Mum". Worth every penny!!

He is so excited he has wrapped himself in the fleece every night while watching TV, I am going to try and have the dressing gown made as soon as I have caught up. Until then he is happy with his new blanket.

The new Better Homes and Gardens arrived this week and of course I have been through it with my sticky notes, marking out all the recipes and crafty things I want to try. However I just couldn't wait and with all the ingredients in the cupboard I made the Brown Sugar Fudge, straight away! It's fudge, really would you wait??
To add some crunch I also added some toasted almonds and macadamias.

Fudge and I have a "love to hate" relationship, I love the stuff but also hate it because I CANNOT ever get it right!! I am pleasantly surprised with this batch however because it is the closest I have came to getting it right, a little bit soft but I think if I had of kept it on the heat a little longer it would have been perfect. Still managed to eat more then my fair share even with the imperfections - can't waste good sugar! 

On a very high note, early this week I saw the e-zine Fat Quarterly was calling for submissions for their Summer issue, they specialize in all things fabric especially pre-cut fabrics. So I sent an email to the editor asking them if they would be interested in the dress I designed and made for Miss 4 out of fat quarters. 
  

The editor Tacha Bruecher, (who's books I own and is the designer of a quilt I have literally just finished making!!) emailed me back saying she loved the dress and would like to feature it in the Summer issue!! I am so humbled to be accepted by these amazingly talented and accomplished women, to be published in international magazine for something I have literally pulled out of my head and made "just for fun".

So with that I am working on what I hope is the first of many published items by me, even with all the work in front of me, with writing instructions, taking and editing many many photos, meeting my first deadline and the general stress of a perfectionist, I am secretly loving every moment!!

My poor husband however saw the receipt from the fabric store this week and I'm not sure how long the excuse "It's for the magazine" is going to work!!

This week I have also finished another version of the above dress, using one 1/2 meter length and some plain homespun. I bought this fabric a couple of years ago at Emerald Fabric Boutique and have always loved it! I have a few more versions of this dress and a few other things floating around my head but they will need to just wait for a bit!

Honestly how cute are the frogs!!
We ran out of time this week for a modelling session so I will have 
Miss 4 in front of the camera soon for a catch up, the clothes always
 look so much better on!! 

To add something that has nothing to do with sewing or cooking but everything to do with my babies, when you live in the town where the Labour party was founded, May Day is always a really big deal! With this day comes the May Day parade, in which my kiddies rode on the school float as little vegetables - a Beetroot and Strawberry to be exact.

Couldn't you just eat them up!!

Well I'm almost positive I have missed something but I'm sure I will catch up with it next week, however our local show is next weekend and I'm not only entering in some cooking but also working for the school at the canteen all day Friday, so I may not achieve much in the the way of fabric but a lot in the way of food!

So as this is the state of my sewing table tonight (note the school uniforms to be ironed in the background) and there is more projects on the ironing board and machine table!! I will finish off here, feed and bath my family, send them off to bed and spend some quality time with an old friend.

Wishing you all a wonderful week, whatever you may be doing.

May your bobbin always be full!

Amanda




No comments:

Post a Comment